Welcome to Beats By Girlz!!
- CLASS LOCATION – Ideally, we are looking for an existing establishment already equipped with the necessary hardware and software. At the very least you’ll need a space with computers and tables (either Mac or PC is fine). Places like local DJ/Production schools, YMCAs or Boys and Girls Clubs, libraries and community centers are great options as we ask that the space to be donated. We can help you find a location for classes to be held if you don’t already have one in mind and can do the asking on your behalf.
- HARDWARE / SOFTWARE – We work in close liaison between manufacturers such as Ableton, Novation, Focusrite, Apogee, and Sweetwater for you. The software will always be free, and in some cases the hardware will be as well. Depending on the circumstances we can either provide you with everything you need or offer it to you at a very low cost. The money for that would have to be raised or provided.
- CURRICULUM – The BBG curriculum is currently being licensed for free to schools and community centers who offer free or scholarship based programing to those who need it. It was developed by Beats By Girlz founder and Associate Professor at Berklee College of Music, Erin Barra.
- COMMUNITY INFRASTRUCTURE – Having a local community to pull from is an important piece of the puzzle. We’ve seen great results from chapters who have partnered with places like local after school programs or non profit community orgs. Promoting for enrollment can be tricky if you’re doing this all on your own so it’s good to be directly connected to a community infrastructure.
- TEACHER TRAINING – We provide video lessons and tutorials on the software we use, Ableton Live, and general teaching practices. We’ve filmed the first two lessons so you can watch one of our teachers in action and are always here to answer any of your questions. We also offer in person chapter training and setup if you need it.
- FUNDRAISING – Beats by Girlz does not provide any funding. However, we can help you raise money by giving you One Sheet materials and budgets you can use when looking for potential local sponsors to cover your costs. The tax-deductible donation from your sponsors will be run through the Beats By Girlz organization, and will go to paying your teachers, putting on graduation parties and covering other basic costs associated with field trips, events and enrollment. Depending on how much programming your planning on offering, typical chapters run off of a yearly budget of roughly $5-6,000.
- PROMOTION and MARKETING – Our incredible team designs posters and flyers to help spread the word about your classes. We also run an active Instagram, Twitter and Facebook page that is frequently updated.
- SUPPORT – BBG was originally developed to create a safe and comfortable place for young women to get involved in music technology while having as much fun as possible. Our goal is to provide guidance, access, tools and role-support to girls of all ages. We are here to support you and help get the ball moving as your chapter grows. If you need help, just ask for it!
- PICTURES and VIDEOS – As part of the BBG family, you must have access to a camera or phone to capture photos and videos to share about your chapter. We have several chapters across North America and giving us visual updates is a great way to keep us on track!
We are so happy you want to bring Beats by Girlz to your community!! We look forward to beginning this process with you. Once you’ve read through this document and are ready to start the conversation, reach out to one of our Beats By Girlz representatives by emailing email@example.com to set up a time to talk.