BEATS BY GIRLZ…
Beats By Girlz and Hit Like A Girl Contest invite you to our submit your beat in our BEATMAKING contest! Now until April 26!
HLAG + BBG 2020 is the third annual global drum programming contest for female beat makers. Its purpose is to spotlight female beat makers/producers and encourage females to engage in music technology. The event is produced by Hit Like A Girl Contest in partnership with Beats By Girlz and our activities are made possible by the generous support of our partners, Ableton, ROLI, Native Instruments, Melodics, Novation and Presonus.
All female and female-identifying producers are eligible to enter!
Two Age Groups
All female producers and programmers are encouraged to participate regardless of their age or ability level. The <18 and 18+ age divisions allow everyone to support each other and the community.
1 – 3 Minute Song
Originals, covers or remixes, you pick.
Please format the track as Producer Name – Track Name (HLAG + BBG Contest).
All songs must be uploaded to Soundcloud for submission
Contest Entry Checklist
- 1 – 3 minute song/beat uploaded to soundcloud.com. Please format the track as Producer Name – Track Name (HLAG + BBG Contest).
- A brief bio telling your music journey, inspiration behind your song
- Recent photo of yourself working on your song!
- ***Be sure to set your track to “Public” so it can play on the HLAG website!***
How To Make It To The Finals!
- Our Judges: The entries will be judged by producers, engineers, artists, composers and sound designers who are all working towards gender equity in a field where women are highly underrepresented. Each of the judges will be able to vote for their favorite entries.
- Public Voting: Public, online voting will be open for all entries and contestants. Friends, fans and family can vote once per track per day. In order to vote a person must create a profile and be signed on through HLAG.
- Listens: The amount of plays on your track will average into your overall score. The top tracks with the most listens on soundcloud will be automatically bumped to the finals!
And The Beatmaking Champion Is…
Winners Announced on May 29, 2020
Winners will be chosen by our team of incredible women in music technology, including BBG teachers, board members and past winners of the HLAG Beatmaking category as judges. The 2020 Hit Like A Girl Champions, Winners and Special Awards will be notified by email and announced on the Hit Like A Girl website on May 29, 2020 at at 12:00 PM PST.
For more information, click here to visit the official Hit Like A Girl Contest website.
ROLI Mini Contest
BBG is proud of our sponsorship with ROLI, an innovative music technology company known for the Seaboard, BLOCKS, and the music-making app NOISE. In addition to your HLAG + BBG Drum Programming Submission, you may partake in our mini-contest by creating a track using the NOISE app and uploading it to NOISE.fm with the label “Producer Name – Track Name (HLAG + BBG + ROLI Contest).” Winners of the mini-contest will be chosen by the founder of Beats by Girlz, Erin Barra. The Grand Prize winner will receive a Roli BeatMaker kit consisting of a Lightpad Block, a Loop Block controller and production software. *Download NOISE for iOS or Google PixelNOISE.
*To be in with a chance of winning the Roli Mini-Contest, entrants must reside in the US, UK, European Union, Canada or Australia. Entrants from other regions are still eligible to enter—if one of these entrants is named the winner, the creator of the winning entry will instead be offered another prize.
Beats By Us: Denmark
Intermediate Music Production for Women and Gender Minorities
The course is aimed at women, non-binary and trans people who want to learn about and build community around music production.
WHERE: Enghavevej 8. København V
WHEN: Thursdays 20 February – 14 May 2020
Max. number of participants is 8
For more information: https://www.facebook.com/events/2535062409903728/
Our first classes in BRIDGEPORT, CONNECTICUT!
Beats By Girlz: BRIDGEPORT, CT
A MUSIC PRODUCTION PROGRAM FOR FEMALES AND FEMME identified students
Join local producers in a comprehensive sequential class series that will give the student a solid foundation of Ableton Live + Push and electronic music production fundamentals using curriculum developed by Erin Barra (Berklee College of Music, Coursera, Beats by Girlz founder). No experience necessary and all equipment provided. Classes are held in a stimulating environment with music played over loudspeakers with approximately seven learners and one teacher. A typical class starts with a group lesson and is followed by individual work time.
WHO: female and femme identified students ages 11-18
WHERE: the Hall Neighborhood House
WHEN : SATURDAYS September – June during the school year from 12 – 2PM
Questions? Email email@example.com